photo q1_zpscd9da648.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q2_zps95da3dae.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q3_zps747c53f9.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q6_zps32c3ba5d.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q4_zpse6214d9c.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q5_zps8a7bdd1d.png

Monday 10 November 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Hi everyone. Today I'm taking part in the Around the World Blog Hop and I was asked by my friend, Cynthia of Dream Quilt Create, to participate. Cynthia has a wonderful blog, and if you haven't stopped to see it before, you should really go check it out. She makes the cutest stuff, and from what I can tell, she has the most romantic husband in the world who made-over her sewing room for her!

Another friend of mine, Shauna from lovinquiltin asked me a about a month ago to participate, but unfortunately we were on vacation and I wasn't able to do it. But I would feel bad if I didn't give a shout-out to Shauna! (Hi Shauna!)


P1020905


What am I currently working on?

Right now I have so many projects in the works I don't know which way is up or down. I think I have what is commonly known as QADD--Quilting Attention Deficit Disorder. That being said, I'm not making a whole lot of progress on anything. Do any of you do that?

But as for the big items, I'm working on a Union Jack Quilt for a friend, I'm testing a couple of patterns for some other friends, I'm working on a fall quilt (that is a little late coming along), and I have recently decided to participate in the #haveyourselfamerrylittlechristmas quilt-along on Instagram. I guess this is something that has been going on for a couple of weeks, but I didn't find out about it last night when my friend @AudreyAnn33 from Strawberry Island Studio asked me if I was playing. How did I miss this? Anyway, so I pulled some fabric today so I could get caught up. I really can't wait to get started.


P1020907


How does my work differ from others?

I don't know if my work really does differ from others because a lot of what I make is inspired by other people! If anything, I wish I could do what others do because I see so many beautiful quilts and think to myself, "Now why couldn't I come up with that?". I have quilt envy I guess.

But if there's something that I've learned about myself is that the biggest motivator for me is the meaning behind the quilt. And by that I mean, 'what does this quilt represent for me?'. Usually it's a memory or a connection to something that keeps me inspired to finish it. I start lots of projects, but I have a hard time seeing them through if I don't have an emotional connection to the design. Really, the projects I have been most passionate about are quilts that are inspired by people that I love, or places I've visited.

Why do I create?

I watched a documentary once called "Helvetica", and I remember the designer saying "Creativity is a disease for which there is no cure" and that really made sense to me. I think (probably like most crafters/artists) I create because it's just something that I have to do. Sometimes creating isn't always a stress-reliever because I become obsessed with an idea, and then I can't focus on anything else until I've made it. And then there are other times, when I have absolutely no new ideas, but even then I start to become really anxious if I'm not working on something, because I feel like it's just something I need to be doing.

How do I work?

I looked at this question in two different ways, so I'll go ahead and answer both.

I think my creative process is a little inconsistent. Sometimes I have an idea the develops slowly, and then I might draw it out and carefully pick out fabric. And then there are those other times, when an idea blasts me out of my sleep and I just start making stuff when I'm not really sure how it's all going to work out.

As for where I work, I am very, very fortunate to have a small sewing room, and to be honest right now, it's completely out-of-control. So, much of my time has been spent trying to get it organized and decorated properly. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to share some before and after photos. The photo below is somewhere in between before and after and is the only picture I could take that wouldn't send you into cardiac arrest : )


P1020894


And as for my machine, I sew on a Bernina Patchwork 350 and I absolutely love it! I saved up for two years after sewing on a Singer Simple, and now I'm a Bernina fan for life. Before Bernina I didn't know that fabric wasn't supposed to be eaten by the machine! It has been a lifesaver for me.


P1020833


Anyway, that's all for my portion of the Around the World Blog Hop. I know my answers aren't all that thrilling, but I appreciate you stopping by!! Next I'm tagging Melissa from My Fabric Relish and Audrey from Strawberry Island Studio--and now I just need to go tell them. Haha.




4 comments:

  1. Cristina, I loved reading about you! You sound a lot like me, with quilt ADD! Ha ha! you are so talented, and your fabrics are beautiful, that you've chosen for the Merry christmas block a thon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found you through I love Quilting magazine-your snow flake pattern captured my eyes! I'm here in England too girl, native Midwestern girl by way of San Antonio....so hello! I'm also about to stalk you on Pinterest, so there's my warning. LOL I feel like we like to SAME stuff, and that's pretty cool. I wrote a UJ quilt pattern just because I ADORE this place so much, I've been here longer than anywhere in my adult life.... It was on my bucket list too. ;) Just wanted to say HI, and keep up the amazing work. XOXO -hungryhippie (Natalie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally under estimate your own talents! Maybe that's what I love about you. You are humble and sweet, yet funny and such a good friend :) You have a style that is yours alone and it's just so amazing and beautiful! I promise the first publication is only a start for you. You have wonderful things headed your way in the quilting world! Some days I spend hours looking back through your posts just to admire your beautiful work :) I feel lucky to have met you and I will keep being your biggest cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add me to the list of your fan club, especially that you create such beautiful things in a tiny space. I'm also guilty of QADD. I've been focused a bit lately, but only with new patterns. I'm so impressed with what you've accomplished, and I can't wait to see how far you'll go!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all comments, and will respond to you as soon as I can:) If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address so I can write you back.

XOXO Cristina