photo q1_zpscd9da648.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q2_zps95da3dae.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q3_zps747c53f9.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q6_zps32c3ba5d.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q4_zpse6214d9c.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q5_zps8a7bdd1d.png

Saturday 25 October 2014

Moda Spell it with Fabric

P1020862

I'm so happy to post this today because it seems like it has been forever since I've had a finish to show you! This one took me awhile because I kept changing my mind about what colors I wanted to use. When it was all said and done I think I made about 40 letter/blocks, so I have almost enough for a second quilt. I want this quilt to be the one that is on my sofa everyday, so I just quilted it in a wavy line stitch, which makes it soft and drapes really well.

I used the Moda Spell it With Fabric pattern, and at one time it was available for free, but now I can't find the original posts for you, but if you want to purchase it, you can do that here.

P1020870

Although I had wanted to make this quilt for a while, I was only really inspired to get started during the summer when my daughter and I were spending much of our time reading together. My daughter really struggled with reading, and did not enjoy it at all. It baffled me at first, because she is such a bright child, but it seemed like it was just never clicking for her. For her entire second grade year she went to additional tutoring every day, but not much progress was made, and her reading level was that of an early first grader. Her Lexile score (tests used to determine reading level) was at a 167 and for a beginning 3rd grader it should be at 500--so we had only a few months to get her where she needed to be. I was worrying myself to death about it. It's not that I wanted her to be the smartest kid in school, but I don't want her to lose confidence in herself if she was behind. Mostly, I just wanted her to love reading, because there's so much enjoyment to be found in books.

P1020887

At the end of the school year, her teacher sent home a recommended summer reading list that were appropriate for her reading level. The list had books like "Clifford the Big Red Dog" and other books that I felt were never going to help her progress. Those books only have about 14 words in them and although they might be appropriate for her reading level, they are not suited for her age level. So I went online and started buying books that I remembered loving at her age. When the books arrived, we started slowly making our way through them. At first it was really slow, but even if we only read a half-page in 20 minutes then I was okay with that. I just wanted her to read enough to where she would fall in love with story, which I hoped would motivate her enough to keep reading. And then it happened. We where reading "The Chocolate Touch" and she thought the story was so funny she didn't want to stop reading! Chapter after chapter we just kept reading, and when I was ready to stop, she finished it on her own.

P1020871

We read four chapter books over the summer--over 600 pages of words. It might not seem like a lot for some children, but for us, it was a great achievement. When it was time for her to start school again I was so nervous about her next reading-level test and kept pestering her about when they were going to take it. Then, one afternoon, a couple of weeks after school started, she called me at work and said "Mom, I took the test today and I scored a 499!". Well you can imagine, I was ecstatic, and I started crying tears of happiness, and even as I write this tears are springing into my eyes! I am just so proud of her I can hardly stand it, and this quilt will always help me remember this awesome achievement.

P1020881

I must admit, I imagine her at her high school graduation, standing up at the podium to give the Valedictorian speech, and she says, "...and this would not be possible without the support and guidance of my greatest teacher--my mother."

But my fantasy about the future is broken with the sound of her saying (in real life), "Mom, can you pleeeaase microwave me some bagel bites?"

P1020884


Have a great week everyone!


Linking up at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday!



14 comments:

  1. This is a really lovely quilt! And you must be so proud of your daughter :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely lovely! And congratulations on the achievement of your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is so beautiful! I think I've done all the way to "H". I really love the colors you used, and the story about helping your daughter read is so sweet. With your love and support and her intelligence, she could very well be valedectorian!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, the story behind the quilt or the quilt, which is my favorite? Hands down favorite story and favorite spell it with moda quilt. My son struggled with reading too in the second grade. He is now in grad school and I'm so thrilled with his progress all through these years. Your quilt is stunning! You and I are kindred spirits in fabric. I love all your choices!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt, but I love the story more. She will say it, someday in her life. You are her greatest teacher. Way to go Mom, for not giving up on your girl, or passing it off on someone else to deal with. You are amazing, as always. And if you need book recommendations, EVER, just e-mail me. Especially if she gets into magic stuff. And not just Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story and a great quilt to go with it. Nicely done mom, on both counts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Georgeous quilt! Is it possible she has dyslexia ? My 2 middle kids had it and once we figured that out improvements came easier with the proper training. They are both grown now. Your a great mom keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out SO cute!!! I have some of these saved from back when it was originally posted but I don't think I caught them all. I have to finish my Texas quilt before I start something new but you sure make it awfully tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the quilt, love the story, love all of it!!! We had a similar issue this year. My oldest is a reading genius, seemed to be reading by the age of 3. My youngest was slower. It was hard for us to know what to do, because with the older one, she just took off. With a little bit of reading together every night, she just one day came home and was reading chapter books and it just all clicked! Our little ones just have to go at their own pace with a bit of love and patience right? :) Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful story . . . all we want for our children is that they are happy and enjoy life. I am so glad that you persevered and took the time to sit and read with your daughter. Very special! Your quilt is a keeper of that special time. I love it! Looks like a nice cuddly kind of quilt. And yes, you can dream of your daughter being the Valedictorian . . . or better yet, have your name added to the parchment! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt and as a reading teacher I love the story behind it! It makes me so sad when I have children struggling to read because I love to read so much and I want them to have the same love I have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet story--and a beautiful quilt as a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a special quilt and an inspirational story! Thanks for sharing both with all of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter entered 2nd grade way behind on reading skills, but she had a great teacher that year and soon caught up. Today she has a PhD and is a college professor and is the head of her department!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all comments, and will respond to you as soon as I can:) If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address so I can write you back.

XOXO Cristina