photo q1_zpscd9da648.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q2_zps95da3dae.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q3_zps747c53f9.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q6_zps32c3ba5d.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q4_zpse6214d9c.png  photo dot_zpsb8876eec.png  photo q5_zps8a7bdd1d.png

Sunday 9 March 2014

Union Jack Quilt

Living in England has been a dream come true for me--it was the number one thing on my bucket list. For as long as I can remember I've been obsessed with it. When I was a teenager I would sit around reading Jane Austen,  listening to the Beatles (in the 90's), and daydreaming about what it would be like when I finally got to visit the UK. I would even get depressed on Christmas when I didn't get tickets to travel to to my #1 destination.

P1020085

When I graduated from high school I knew there was no way I could stay in a tiny Texas town for the rest of my life, and started searching for a way to get out. I went to college for a year, and made plans to do a study abroad art class in London--but I couldn't save up enough. I only made minimum wage (we've all been there, right?) and after paying for rent there was almost nothing left. So I decided to do something more drastic. I marched over to the recruiter's office, and within 5 weeks I was in the Air Force--wearing combat boots, and getting yelled at--but it didn't even bother me because I knew that within a couple of months I would be seeing the castles and countryside of England--I naively thought the Air Force was going to send me where I actually wanted to go. Hahaha. I laugh at that now. I waited 14 years and finally, the Air Force sent me here.

union jack quilt 2

You know how you build your expectations up about something, but you are fully aware that the "something" probably won't meet your expectations? Well, England wasn't like that--it was one of those places that was exactly like I imagined. Stone cottages, beautiful gardens, rich history and amazing architecture around every corner. This quilt (once it's finished) will be my tribute to England quilt, and my tribute to making dreams come true.

union Jack quilt

And speaking of dreams coming true, have you seen the movie "Tangled"--it's one of my favorites. I watched it at the theater with my daughter right after I was notified I was going to England, and I cried during the entire film, because my "floating lantern" dream was finally coming true. So I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the film...

Rapunzel:  I've been looking out of a window for eighteen years, dreaming about what I might feel like when those lights rise in the sky. What if it's not everything I dreamed it would be?

Flynn Rider: It will be. 

Rapunzel: And what if it is? What do I do then? 

Flynn Rider: Well, that's the good part I guess. You get to go find a new dream.


P1020081

I guess now I need to find a new dream...I'm pretty sure whatever it is, it's going to involve lots and lots of fabric.

18 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased England turned out to be everything you'd wished for! It makes me feel I should appreciate it more myself instead of just taking it for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a beautiful tribute quilt. I particularly love all your colorful cornerstone :) And I can't wait to see where your next dream brings you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dream...it is mine too. My dream will come true in just four weeks. We will leave for London and a months vacation!!! High on my list is Hilltop Farm ( Beatrix Potters home). It will be my second visit to England, and I know it will NOT disappoint. Can I ask you which pattern you used for your quilt. I hope to make one too!!! Safe journey to both of us. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I meant to add ONE more thing. Have you read a FINE ROMANCE by Susan Branch??? I heard that some Costco's are carrying the book...I got mine thru Amazon. It is a MUST read for anyone who loves England. It will add great JOY to your dream. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely story and a beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your post, it made me think of home - I have done your adventure in reverse. Which base are you moving to? I'm so happy for you that you will finally be living your dream :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a beautiful post and quote Cristina - love this quilt and again the story you tell with it just makes it all the more special. K x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this quilt but I love the story behind it even more! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This just makes my heart happy. Sometimes our dreams take time to come to fruition. Sometimes the road to get there is not what we expected. And when the dream is what we had wished for (and not a complete "meh" moment)... Who could ask for anything more. I'm so glad your dream arrived and that it has made you happy.
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, I LOVE that part of Tangled!

    And I adore your quilt. Makes me want to make another one. So glad you got to live your floating lantern dream, even if it took the Air Force 14 years to figure out they need to send you there. I don't even know what mine is - that's sad! Guess I should figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your quilt Cristina, and the story behind it! The fabric you used is fantastic! And I can totally relate to dreaming in fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's such a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally love your quilt! The story is icing on the cake! Here's to dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt and fantastic post -- I'm so glad your dream came true, and am excited to find out about your new one (in time, in time)!

    Hope you're enjoying the visit with your mom! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I had to stop by, after receiving your note. And boy things change in a hurry don't they? So if I'm reading correctly, you are already in England? My first thought was, oh no, she's so far away! But after reading your story, it made my heart smile. I'm so happy for you! Your quilt is beautiful, like they always are. You have such a great talent in quilt making, I love seeing each one. I don't always encourage you just to be nice, it's all true, you do amazing work! I am looking forward to you sharing your new journey. Your quilt pictures are gorgeous. Oh how I miss green grass...NM wind and red dirt make me long for such beautiful scenery. My dream is to go back to IA someday, and stay forever. It's a small dream, but I do miss the green and some wonderful friends I've had forever that are still there. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or wait a minute, maybe you have been there awhile now. I thought when we were talking, for some reason, you were here in the states still. Now I have myself confused lol :)

      Delete
    2. Ok ya, disregard all my duh comments ;)

      Delete
  16. Thank you for the link to this post! Love the quilt. I have pinned it. That is lovely that you did make it to England to live, even if it took several years!
    I'm English and I married an American. We met online and have been married 13 years now. We live in the US. I'd love to make a Union Jack quilt, so I love to see all the ones that people have worked on.
    Yes, do read Enid Blyton - I've bought several of them for my daughter, thanks to Amazon I can get them shipped over here.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all comments, and will respond to you as soon as I can:) If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address so I can write you back.

XOXO Cristina